Blog 8

Cooper Robards 
Blog 8
    I am back now in the States.  It feels weird not being in Berlin anymore. I grew very accustomed life in Germany, so, many of the small cultural differences I noticed while abroad seem even bigger now. The most immediate thing I noticed that signaled I was not in Berlin, was people no longer adhering to the unwritten rule of escalators: stand on the right and walk on the left. While I know this isn't just a Berlin, or even German thing, it was still somewhat infuriating to see people not follow this and something I had definitely grown accustomed to.  Since being back I have also caught my self several times wanting to say "karte bitte" when paying for things with card. Not only would this have been weird for me to say because its obviously German and not English, but paying with card is significantly more common here.  It is almost implied that you pay with card instead of cash, whereas is Berlin, at least I found this to be the case, it was more common for people to pay with for things with cash.  "Karte bitte" is not the only phrase of had to restrain from using either, I often catch myself before saying "sprechen sie English", "danke"/"danke school", or "entschuldigung".  I also didn't realize how much I missed small things, like driving or certain fast food chains like chic-fit-a.  Inversely, there are many things I anticipate missing from Berlin as well.  First most, döner, which had become a staple of my diet there. I also think I'll miss German people, which sounds a bit weird, but let me explain.  In day to day life, at least, I found that Berliners were much less concerned about others, seemingly content in their own worlds, and unbothered.  While on the other hand, Americans seem much more concerned with others and everything around them. Perhaps I'm being overly critical, but simply put I found Berliners a lot less annoying and in-your-face. 
    Looking back on my trip I think showed a tremendous amount of growth. I've always heard stories about people having these "transformative" experiences while abroad and have blown them off as corny.  However I think it really was transformative. It broke the current pattern in my life and allowed me to define who I wanted to be in this new school, in a new city. I got to enact a new sort of agency in my life that I previously wasn't aware of. It helped show me what I really value, who I want to surround myself with, and how I want to spend my time. I think I kind of broke free from the somewhat rigid cast  surrounding my life and feel more comfortable pursuing new things. All of which is incredibly exciting and liberating feeling.  I think it was very defining time for me and something that has with no doubt changed me for the better. Berlin's open and accepting, anything goes, environment was kind of the perfect catalyst for this "transformation". I was able to try new things or styles and chose for myself what I liked instead of letting others chose for me. On any given street, like the architecture, you find an amalgamation of people, with so many different charming and unique differences. It creates a very open and inviting environment that allows for people to be whatever they want. When theorizing about club admittance, as you do, with friends we all agreed the best thing you can do is be yourself. Although it does, sometimes, help to wear black.  Many of the clubs in Berlin are a reflection of the city and its open environment. In order to produce these open environments, the clubs are somewhat selective and don't tolerate phoniness- if you're not there for the right reasons you shouldn't be there. Which I think is something found throughout the city in general. You are encouraged to be yourselves and try new things, but earnestly.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 2

Blog 3

Blog 4